12.02.2008

Warrior of the Light -01- (12.02.08)


Warrior of the Light is a book - a guide, really, meant to accompany Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. Recently I read The Alchemist, and naturally went to see what was in this little handbook. Inside are proverb-like listings, some in the form of small anecdotes, some just a single sentence.

I would like to dedicate one post on analyzing one bit of knowledge from the book. Perhaps this will happen once a month, once a week, perhaps even bi-weekly. You need not have read The Alchemist to follow Warrior of the Light, though I do recommend reading the book. These are entirely of my own creation, save the quote itself. I do not ask you agree, though I do ask you respond and engage me in discussion, whether you agree or not.

For now, I will begin at the beginning.



"A Warrior of the Light knows that he has much to be grateful for."
-Warrior of the Light, Paulo Coelho (p. 1)


It's not necessarily a bad thing to be extraordinarily lucky or gifted, as long as you realize where it's coming from. All things - both good and bad - are placed in our lives for a reason. As long as we continue to ask for things for our highest good, that is all we will receive. Sometimes things will be hidden, and we'll pause to wonder 'why did this happen to me? I did nothing wrong!'

Bad things happening is not necessarily a punishment. They're never fun, and wouldn't it be lovely to reap rewards all the time? Though rewards for good deeds are often a good way to instill a sense of right-doing, the greater lessons must come to us in the form of triumph, not reward.

To be given a monumental roadblock, to the point where we pause and hesitate, think 'perhaps this cannot be right - it is too difficult', and then to decide to try anyway and succeed is the most sustaining form of growth imaginable.

Not only has the individual physically accomplished an seemingly impossible task, he has gained the mentality that he can do anything he wants, provided he sets his mind to it. He has also taken that step closer to God, to put trust in Spirit for just a moment, to suspend his beliefs while he tries with all his heart - only to succeed in the end.

They are also points of self-evaluating. Roadblocks may be placed in our lives for the very reason of causing us to pause and reflect. Are we really doing that which is for our highest good? Are we doing the thing that our heart calls us to do?

The tricky part is that it changes. What we start out looking for often changes, but not without reason. I began my path seeking a degree in science and a position as a researcher. Now, I find that it is no longer my calling. It was, most certainly, in the beginning, and because I followed that, I have learned quite a bit and met some of the most amazing people. If I had the chance to redo it, I'd do it all the same again.

Do not think that what you begin looking for is what you will end up finding. It is not uncommon or unusual for it to change. It is, however, unusual for one to realize this, and change his or her plans accordingly. Don't be afraid to listen to your heart when it tells you it wants something else.

I think the main thought Coelho is trying to get across here is the idea that we must be aware of our situation, we must be gracious for our blessings, but at the same token, not to take strife as a strike against us - that our God is punishing for something wrong. My God, or Spirit, Source, what have you, to me, is nothing but Love. I have found nothing more pure on this Earth than unconditional love. To me, it seems, that God could be nothing but that. Therefore, I choose to regard each setback in my life as God placing a challenge before me. Not punishment, but a chance to run forward and shine brightly with success.

We all have Godlight inside of us - we are all capable of love.

Shine on!




Thanks to edmittance, TechNopal.

No comments: